Discover the benefits you will get when you book a Wanna Get Away Plus ticket.
- Southwest recently announced a fourth fare type called Wanna Get Away Plus, making it the airline’s second-cheapest ticket option.
- This new ticket will include attractive benefits, such as the ability to transfer unused flight credits to someone else.
If you fly Southwest Airlines often, you’re probably familiar with the brand’s three types of tickets. However, some upcoming changes are taking place. Southwest announced a new ticket option with additional benefits. These benefits will come at a cost, but some travelers may find the extra expense worth it. This is what you need to know.
On March 24, 2022, Southwest Airlines announced a new ticket type. The new fare, Wanna Get Away Plus, will join the brand’s current list of fare offerings. It will be the second cheapest rate option.
While not yet available for purchase, you can purchase these tickets in the coming months. Wanna Get Away Plus tickets will be available in the second quarter of 2022.
Introducing Wanna Get Away Plus
So what can you expect when you buy a Wanna Get Away Plus ticket?
The following three benefits come with this new rate type:
- Transferable flight credits: Like Wanna Get Away tickets, if you cancel your flight, you’ll receive a flight credit valid for 12 months from the date of ticket purchase. The flight credit on a Wanna Get Away Plus ticket offers more flexibility. You may make a one-time transfer of your unused flight credit to another Rapid Rewards member. With the Wanna Get Away fare, only the ticketed passenger can use flight credits.
- Earn more Rapid Rewards points: You’ll earn 8 points per $1 through the Rapid Rewards program when you purchase this fare type. That’s more than the 6 points per $1 earned when purchasing Wanna Get Away tickets.
- Free Same Day Flight Changes and Same Day Standby Benefits: If a seat is available, you’ll be able to make same-day confirmed flight changes without airline charges. If a seat is not available, you can join the standby list for a different flight on the same day without paying the fare difference. Travelers with Wanna Get Away tickets must pay the difference in fare for these benefits.
What other Southwest benefits can you expect?
As with all Southwest fare types, travelers will be able to check up to two bags at no additional cost. No other major US airline offers this unique benefit.
There are no fees to change a flight (pay only the fare difference) and there are no fees to cancel your flight as long as you do so at least 10 minutes before the scheduled departure time.
Will Wanna Get Away Plus tickets be affordable?
Are these benefits worth the extra cost and will the tickets be affordable?
Southwest noted that the Wanna Get Away Plus tickets will be a “modest purchase” of Wanna Get Away. However, the airline did not provide specific pricing details.
You can expect this new fare type to cost more than Wanna Get Away tickets and less than Anytime or Business Select tickets. As for how affordable the tickets will be, we’ll have to wait and see once the tickets are available for purchase.
A Southwest Credit Card Could Help You Earn More Rewards
Wondering how to get free flights with Southwest Airlines? Southwest has several personal and business credit cards. You can earn additional Rapid Rewards points by using one of these rewards cards and redeem your points for free flights.
Spending with one of these credit cards could also help you earn a Companion Pass, which allows a pre-selected companion to join you for nearly free travel when you book Southwest Airlines flights. You will only pay taxes and fees on your tickets.
To compare card benefits, check out our list of the best Southwest credit cards. If you’re not a Southwest loyalist, check out our list of the best travel credit cards for other rewards card options.
The best credit cards end interest until 2023
If you have credit card debt, transfer it to this top balance transfer card locks you in with a 0% introductory APR through 2023! In addition, you will not pay an annual fee. Those are just some of the reasons why our experts rate this card as the best option to help control your debt. Read the full review of The Ascent free and apply in just 2 minutes.